Oh snacking…It’s my downfall. I can honestly say, I’m somewhat weak and I’m betting I’m not alone. My snacking is usually a result of cravings which, when I’m not prepared can lead to bad choices but I’m desperate to make healthy snacking decisions. My cravings fall into three categories:
And now with Baby Nuunie’s arrival just days away, it’s time to start thinking about life post baby and dropping the baby weight FAST! I know I won’t be able to do that if I don’t get my snacking under control.
So I’m taking time this weekend to stock the house with all the goodies I’ll need to fight cravings and stay full. My goal is to keep snacking to 150 calories or less and sugar to a minimum. Here’s my list of go-to snacks. I’d love to know your snack ideas! Think..ready made or little prep.
Sometimes with the “sweet” craving I can tame it with a beverage too. So I try to think outside the box.
- Hot Chocolate
- Yogurt (I love to add grapenuts to it for a little crunch)
- Fruit (Apples, Oranges, Bananas)
- Special K Protein Cereal and Bars (Not an ad, I just love them)
- Quaker Oatmeal Squares Cereal (same as above, I like to eat them plain)
- Craisins and other dried fruit
- Protein Shakes/Smoothies (Love COLD smoothies)
- Dove Chocolate
- Popsicles, Italian Ice (real fruit)
- Wheat Thins
- Pretzel Crisps
- Edemame (with a little salt)
- Whole Grain Goldfish (my son’s favorite too)
- Veggies – Carrots, Canned Green Beans (I know weird, but I love ’em)
- String Cheese
- Peanut Butter/Celery
- Almonds/Soy Nuts
- Chicken Breast or Good Deli Turkey
Snacking Tips and Tricks:
- Buy and Pre-Package – I buy the full size items and pre-bag them in ready to grab portions. It’s cheaper that way.
- I LOVE COLD beverages so I drink most things, especially milk out of a frosty mug.
- Stock up Smart..Head to Sams or Costco to get some of your favorite snacks in bulk
- Invest an hour..in food prep..it’s worth the time to wash, cut and prep not only your snacks but dinner components. The time you’ll gain during the week is invaluable and you’ll be that much more prepared with a craving hits.
How do you handle cravings? How do you keep snacking under control?