Turns out October is the slowest gym month of the year, according to Women’s Health and Golds Gym.
It makes sense when you think about everything that hits in October it’s no wonder October is less than stellar for physical fitness. I mean how do you compete with:
- Change of Season: it gets darker sooner, it’s colder, less need to be exposed…LAYERS!
- Holiday season: Halloween starts, what always promises to be, the most chaotic time of the year.
- Football season: Beer and party food
So sort of in keeping with my idea of No New Year’s Resolutions, I thought we should talk about ways to get motivated in October. Pay attention..if you’re in STL, I’ve provided local resources to help you get motivated and moving in St Louis.
- Try a new workout – A great way to spice things up is to try something new. If you’re a gym goer, try a Barre class or try running. This is the best season to run. Get out and log a couple miles. You might find yourself hooked.
- SPECIAL STL OFFER: If you’re in STL and new to Barre3 in Des Peres, you can take a class for free just by contacting them and mentioning MomsLittleRunningBuddy.
- SPECIAL STL OFFER: If you’re new to Crossfit and in the Wentzeville area, you can take a free crossfit class at Crossfit 70 just for mentioning MomsLittleRunningBuddy
- Find a Buddy/Group – If you’re a loner (and I am most of the time too), a great way to get re-energized is to find a buddy. Make plans and meet up. Just making plans is enough to get motivated. If you need someone one to be accountable too, try online training with me.
- Switch up your Timing – If you’re like me, you usually workout at the same time every day which was always after work but that might not be the best approach in these darker days. Working out first thing might help you eliminate some of the excuses that can exist by trying to workout later in the day. I’ve gotten up twice now and am so glad I did! I MIGHT be converting.
- Find A New Route – This one rings true for me. I am a creature of habit but when I do break out and find a new running route, I find that I’m so excited to explore.
- New Music – I love working out with music. If you do too, try finding some new music. You can find all kinds of blogs that recommend music options. Pavement Runner always does a Thursday link up. Some great resources there. I also did a post on how to put together a playlist to coincide with a workout.
- New Gear – My favorite. I know..maybe it’s shallow, but hand me a new top, shoes or watch and you can’t tear me away from the gym or trail. I love trying new things and purchasing something new like the new Sweaty Selfie tanks might be just what you need!
- Make a Vow to Make Healthy Choices – This season is so challenging because we’re constantly surrounded by junk. Starting about now, store shelves are filled with Halloween candy and it doesn’t stop. Be prepared, and plan ahead. One healthy decision can lead to the next. Start your day off right and you’ll be riding a healthy high all day!
- Set a Goal – Why wait till New Years…set a goal now. Like I said…October is the perfect month for running because it is cooler. Sign up for a 5k, get the kids involved. It could be a lot of fun. I know there are probably so many more that you use.
- STL EVENT: The Celebrate Spot 5K is a great, non competitive option and happening on October 13th. Register.
- SPECIAL STL OFFER: Want something with a little more mileage? Try the Rock n Roll Half on October 27th. Use code: Momslrb for $10 off. Register!
- Remember Your Inspiration – Post pictures nearby of what inspires you to get fit. It could be pictures of your kids, motivational sayings, or pictures of yourself. Whenever you don’t feel like working out, find your pictures and find your inspiration.
- Take a Break – When all else fails, take a break. Just like everything else you love…absence makes the heart grow fonder. Maybe playing a little hard to get with the gym is a good thing.
Do you use any of these methods? Whats your favorite? What else gets you re-energized?