Now that we’ve looked back at 2013, it’s time to start looking ahead. Some will be making resolutions while others, such as myself, will be setting new goals. What’s the difference you ask?
The official definitions say it all:
Resolution: a firm decision to do or not to do something.
Goal: the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.
The difference? The combination of Passion and ambition. Without BOTH…failure is probable. So I’ll be setting some 2014 goals and I’m a little nervous to actually put them down no paper because I don’t want to let you all down but it’s good to have goals right?!. This year though, I’m expanding my goals…to include not only fitness focused goals but also blog and personal goals because they all have to work together.
Let’s start with Fitness:
- Complete a half ironman: Right now, I’m looking at Steelhead in August. I’ve made reservations and got my husband on board. Those are two big steps.
- Complete two half marathons: Right now my race calendar includes Go! St. Louis and Rock ‘n’ Roll St. Louis and couple others that would mean a couple weekend trips, which as many of you know can be tough to arrange with small kids.
- Coordinate Celebrate Fitness for the 6th year. I coordinate the 5K and 10K event and spend a lot of time making sure it’s a good event for all. So please pray that we have good weather March 8th here in STL.
- PR in 5K
- Try two new fitness methods that could possibly include some of these: link
- Complete 3 Sprint/Olympic distance triathlons
By themselves, they might not look like much but for me, considering all the other things I want to do, they are enough. I’m realistic where I am in life right now and this list is pretty fulfilling for me.
To be perfectly honest, this is the first time I’ve really set blogging goals and I’ll be completely transparent. My goals here might not be what the big blog agencies would tell you to focus on but I’m not in it to make them happy.
- Every week read at least 3 new blogs. One of the things that keeps me blogging is the relationships I’ve built with other bloggers that I can now honestly call friends. We are a community and I want to see that community grow. If you’re blogging, I will find you! 🙂
- Redesign my site. I’m self hosted on blogger and have been since I started almost 4 years ago but I’ve never changed my design or layout and it’s starting to feel a little cramped up in this little house. The problem is there is a cost associated with this and as I can see it anywhere from $900 to thousands which I will need to save in order to see this happen but it’s time.
- Share or RT at least 5 to 10 people a week. Again, this might not sound like much but it’s a commitment to the community and I’ll do my best to see it grow.
- Attend a blogging conference. This one is a stretch goal. I’ve always wanted to go to one but being away from the kids is hard for me. I think there is one coming to Nashville, which I could probably swing in two days. I’ll start sweet talking the husband. 🙂
- Become more blog business savvy. I feel like I’ve only scraped the surface of blogging and not that I want to make a ton of money doing it but I would like to understand it more…as a business person, I’m just curious.
- Take some professional pictures. I have been asked a number of times this year for “headshots” or a “full body shot” and I don’t have any that weren’t taken with an iPhone. Another cost but once I have them, I can keep using them for a while.
This is kind of the catch all bucket. There are so many things swirling around in my head and I’m going to braindump here.
- Potty train my toddler. This one gives me heartburn. It’s not going well and he shows no signs of wanting to do this.
- Complete the first three yearbooks for E and the first one for MiniE. This is something that I’ve been meaning to do for a while. I’ve started E’s but just need to focus and finish them.
- Get E into swimming lessons again
- Successfully complete at least one roadtrip/vacation as a family of four. This will most likely be the Ironman but hopefully that’s not the only trip we take.
- Read for recreational again.
Gulp…there they are. On virtual paper, just waiting to be tackled. 2014 promises to be a good year for me and hopefully it’s a good year for you. What are some of your goals?