FRIDAY WINNER – Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes says
THURSDAY WINNER – Debbie @ Live From La Quinta..email me!
WEDNESDAY WINNER – Kate @ KateMovingForward ..email me!
TUESDAY’S WINNER – ANEL! email me at MomsLittleRunningBuddy@gmail.com
Seasoned runners and newbies alike have, at some point dealt with blisters. They are annoying and can pop up in the most inconvenient places and as I ramp up my mileage this week, I’m keenly aware of the potential of getting blisters. Personally, I’ve experienced blisters:
- Between My Boobs (HINT: Don’t store your GU in your sports bra)
- Under my arms
- On the Arch of my foot
- Between my toes
Most of the time, blisters are self-induced. We bring it on ourselves. Sometimes it’s just pride getting the best of us, not wanting to acknowledge that something doesn’t feel quite right so we ignore it. Sometimes its eagerness to try a new piece of gear that ends in little bubbles of bad stuff on any given body part. But there are ways to avoid getting them.
Buy properly fitting gear – Yes, those shoes look awesome but how do they fit. Did you take a little jaunt in them? The only way to know if something is going to rub you raw is to test it out. That’s why it’s so important to shop at stores that can appreciate the needs of runners. They will let you not only try the shoe on but try the shoe OUT.
- Break In New Gear Slowly – Got a new pair of shoes? Great but it might not be the best deal to go run your next half in them tomorrow. Most gear will take you a little time to break in so start small, maybe a mile or two then build up the mileage.
- Buy blister prevention gear – If you know you’re prone to blisters in certain places, look for the gear that will help with your particular problem area. For me, it’s between my toes. Also look at Moleskin, and blister block as other tools to help prevent blisters.
- Reduce Moisture – Sweat can sometimes be the culprit causing blisters. Moisture wicking gear like Injinji socks are a great way to keep feet dry.
- Powder Up – Powder up in “strategic” places where sweat gathers is another way to keep you from blistering up.
- Remove Sweaty Clothes ASAP – Blisters can happen even after your run or workout. Strip those sweaty clothes as soon as your workout is over.
One of the things I’m a HUGE proponent of is buying good socks. They can make all the difference in the world. I was introduced to Injinji socks about a year ago and honestly thought they were a little weird. “I don’t wear barefoot shoes so why should I wear toe socks?” Then I read up on them and realized that they might be the answer to my problem. So I bought a pair at the local running store and tried them on. Yes, they were weird to put on but these socks are about function. I quickly became a fan so when Injinji offered to send me some of their newest product, a female specific lightweight no-show run sock, I said yes!
“The Women’s toesock is designed to better accommodate a female foot, which is typically narrower than a male’s foot, with an increased heel to toe stretch. The increased two-way stretch will enable the material to better stretch across a female’s foot arch providing compression throughout the foot. The fit of the individual toe-sleeves were redesigned for a better, snugger fit throughout the toes for female wearers without any excess material.”
This sock does not disappoint. It really does feel like it’s made for my foot and I have noticed that my toes are more comfortable in my shoes now. Injinji wants to keep your feet blister free to by letting me give away some of their new socks and I’ve even got a couple of their fun ones to give away (yes, I did keep a few for myself).
So here’s what we’ll do. Let’s make this easy. I’ll giveaway one pair a day for the next five days. Let’s do it low key. You can register by doing one of the following:
- Visit Injinji, leave a comment telling me which injinji toesocks are your favorite. Also leave your email!
- Tweet the above and leave the link in a comment (and leave your email).
- Pin this post or any post from the Running page or Workout page and leave the URL
Come back here every morning to see if you were a winner. First winner will be chosen Tuesday morning.