Happy Monday everyone! How are you doing? We’ve had a great (hot) weekend. We’ve been trying to survive a home renovation. Don’t get me wrong, I’m so excited about the end result but why does it have to be so painful?! It’s one of those things that started with the need for new floors. Then when we picked the floors we realized the kitchen would look horrible, so we decided to refinish the cabinets. THEN we realized that the lighting wouldn’t match and IF he was goign to have to move the powder room vanity to put flooring down we might as well have a new one for him to replace it with. See how this happens?! And now we’re midway through a first floor renovation.
So that’s been going on..FUN! Then it’s been HOT and humid here lately which has put me right into the mid-summer run slump. Do you know what I’m talking about? My year in running goes something like this…
- January – Excited to start the new year – Running is pretty strong and consistent and mostly on a treadmill
- February – Down the tubes – It’s freaking cold. I should be training for spring halfs but I’ll wait till next month
- March – Heck yes! – All it takes is a couple days of good weather and I’m back in love again – Spring season training is in full swing!
- April – Race, Run, Race, Run – Every weekend if I could. Love it.
- May – Month of Tri’s for me – I’ve pretty much decided that all I can handle are sprints with my schedule so let’s do it!
- June – Slow and hot – It’s getting hot but I’ll suck it up and maintain some level of endurance. No races in the near future.
- July – Hybernation (if you can do that in the summer) – All I want to do is sit on the couch and wait for fall weather.
- August -New Beginning – Fall Season training kicks in and I’m motivated. (Let’s see how long it lasts)
- September – Ahh..breathe it in – Hello cooler temps! How I’ve missed you! Let’s get this running party started.
- October – Race, Run, Race, Run – GO! Halloween Half, Rock ‘n’ Roll STL, St. Louis Track Club Half! CAN NOT WAIT!
- November – Eh… – I think it’s time for a break. No races for a LONG time. Let’s hit the gym harder shall we?!
- December – Beach Running – I love this month because we’re usually athe beach sometime and I will ALWAYS fall back in love with running there.
Can you relate to this? Well so rather than go sedentary this month, I’ve been trying hit the gym regularly but a week or so ago I realized something. I wasn’t training in the gym, I was exercising (i.e. just trying not to gain weight). I realized I had NO idea how much I could lift, or how strong I was. So I hired a trainer to help me max out on overhead press, squats and deadlifts. OH MAN…was that an awakening. I walked out of the gym not even knowning who I was. Before the kids, I would lift (like lift heavy). When they came around I shifted gears consciously but somehwere along the line that shift from training to working out also led to complacency. And as I come out of the haze that is parenting YOUNG kids, I’m trying to find myself a little more and this is one area I need in my life. So I’ve decided to keep said trainer because with this type of thing, I need the motivation and support to keep me honest, and to keep my form in check. So follow me as we go down this road together.
AND… just like the gym, it’s time to start building endurance for fall racing season. So I’m pulling out my spring plan and trying to stick to it! This is week one but I’ll share my entire plan…
So, LOTS going on. Probably no different than your life but that’s it…in a nutshell. Let’s end on an adorable note shall we?! The one thing I do love about summer is pool time. And getting to play with these little minions is the best.
OH and I forgot to tell you. Over on Facebook, I’ve been posting small daily challenges for all aspects of our lives. Make sure you go check it out! I think you’ll like them!