Hi guys! I’m waving at you from the basement of my in-laws, which is where we STILL are. There has been no real progress on the house front I’m sad to say. It’s been two months. Insert sigh here**
On a separate but equally frustrating note, running…I feel like I actually have some progress to report.
After finding out that there was no tear, I was referred to a physical therapist. I feel like that’s every doctor’s “go to” when they don’t know what’s wrong. Regardless, I had my first appointment Tuesday.
She did a few baseline tests and told me what I probably should’ve suspected all along…
- My lower back is jacked up
- I have no mobility in my lumbar vertebrae (L3,L4, L5)
- My pelvis is off center, meaning my left hip sits slightly higher than the right
- My hip flexors are not engaging as a result
So you see where I’m going with this…their opinion is that what I’m feeling in my knee is a result of all of the above and that their plan isn’t based around treating the knee but these other conditions.
Luckily she didn’t discourage me from running. There’s no damage to be done. At this point its all about undoing years of neglect. Typical runner issue I feel like… My treatment plan consists of:
- Twice a week soft tissue therapy (basically a really uncomfortable massage to try to release the muscles that surround my spine that have been engaged full time for years)
- Daily exercises to address the lack of flexibility and mobility in my hip, calves and week lower abdomen.
- Calf Stretches
- Hip Flexor stretch
- Pilates Bird on a Perch
- Pilates The Hundred
I’ve added these to my #50Refresh personal challenge which was to do 50 Lunges, Push-ups and V-ups. Really rounding out my workouts. 🙂 I’m happy to at have some direction in at least one of the directionless areas of my life.
The bottom line here is that I might not be where I want to be fitness wise right now but I’m not settling with that. I’m accepting that I have to build back up to it but I’m not about to assume this is the new normal. I INTEND to get back to a place I’m comfortable with VERY soon and hopefully cross the finishline of my second 70.3 later this year (but you didn’t hear me say that ok?) 🙂